Tuesday 29 May 2012

3D Work Reflection

For my environment I did a steam punk inspired industrial corridor meant to represent the corridors in the Salt building in an alternate timeline. The environment is entirely metal and industrialized to emphasize the steam punk style I was aiming for. I did this by adding various mechanical props in the scene such as control panels, valve operated doors, and various pipes and factory like elements. Chris taught us how to do interior environments in one of his lessons in particular corridors. I used the technique he showed to model the inside of the corridor without much difficulty. The result was a convincing indoor environment which did not show any empty space and looked real. Since my environment was symmetrical for the most part it was easy to simply do one side then clone and mirror it to the other side cutting the workload in half. The basic shapes I used in my environment were actually quite basic but the end result looked far better than I anticipated.

My final design meets my original intentions fairly well if you look at my concept designs and compare them to the final result, they are very similar. Apart from animation my environment meets my original plan. The only part I left out was all the complicated animation I thought I could achieve. I wanted lots of movement within my scene so it wouldn't be boring. I soon gave up though due to time constraints despite this I still wanted at least some actions so I settled for something as simple as a door opening. I wanted the valve to turn as well but I couldn't group the valve and door together and move them individually.

I regret spending too much of my time starting over and over again unhappy with the overall shape of the corridor. This soaked up far too much time I could have spent on more worthwhile things. After a while I picked up the pace a little and started to manage my time a little better. If I had that attitude from the beginning I could have accomplished a lot more and spent some time on animation.

For this project I struggled most with the animation side of things as I just could not get it to work the way I wanted it to. Because of this I had to cut out all those moving parts I planned to animate. It was hard to make animation look natural and not clip through anything.

For this project I found initial idea to be quite easy. I designed a idea I liked and stuck with it. This was surprising to me as I usually get hung up on what to actually create. But after my first concept sketch I had a clear vision of what I wanted and how I was going to do it.

I was told by a number of people that my work was up to a professional standard including Chris, a few students, and Simon who came to the digital showcase. So it must be comparable to professional work.            

No comments:

Post a Comment